Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fahrenheit 451?

http://www.cracked.com/article_19453_6-reasons-were-in-another-book-burning-period-in-history.html

Ugh, this makes me so mad I could spit!  I completely understand the issues like books continuously being published and not having room to store the whole of written human knowledge, but to just destroy them is horrible!

I LOVE books!  They were my constant companion as a child and a treasured few still comfort me today.  I love the smell of books.  The aged smell of books in libraries, treasured volumes uniting the minds of disparate strangers.   The smell of new books in stores, crisp pages waiting to be devoured by hungry minds.

The feel of a book in your hand, the weight of it belying it's substance.  Something well-loved with a cracked spine and dog-eared pages.  Watching the bookmark (wrapper, post-it, receipt, whatever it is) moving through the pages.

Just one more chapter...just one more page.  Losing yourself in a story only to find out, after you finished it, that it is now early morning and you only have a few hours before you must get up and go to work.  Curled up, reading with burning eyes, words that seem to be ripped from your very soul. 

I can't get these things from a computer screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment